Living Memorials: Honoring Your Family
Your feedback is important to us!
After viewing our curriculum units, please take a few minutes to help us understand how the units, which were created by public school teachers, may be useful to others.
I teach 1
grade at Wexler-Grant Community School, a school that begins with headstart and ends with 8
grade. We have an interesting history. Until 2002-2003, we were two separate schools, Helene W. Grant and Isadore Wexler. Our population of students is approximately 90% African-American and the remaining 10% is made up of White, Hispanic, and Indian. We are a community school which means that our building is open to the neighborhood in a variety of ways. We open the gym to the youth so that they can play basketball; the cafeteria is used for African drumming, Tai Chi, Pilates, and more. Other types of meetings, seminars, conferences, and workshops take place in our building for various organizations throughout the community. We have a family resource room that provides services for parents, grandparents, and students. We try to truly embrace and embody what community means in our name.