William F. Natale Jr.
Reading and Writing Via the myths was created to provide the upper-intermediate grade school teacher (grades 4-6) with a highly motivational curriculum unit designed to spark an interest in reading and creative writing, It will be of use as a supplement to the basic reading, English, and social studies programs and is not intended to replace them. The unit also will help the teacher to introduce the students to the early Greek and Roman civilizations which have made important contributions to our present culture.
Because these students are so young, mythology can be used only to a somewhat limited extent, therefore, what I have tried to do is to incorporate these exciting and valuable stories into their regular school program in a way that will enhance their learning, especially in the field of reading and writing,
I think that mos teachers of middle school would agree that a substantial amount of children have been turned away from reading and that sometimes teeth must be pulled to convince a child to read book or to write a story. Therefore, motivation is important.
There are five basic objectives which this unit proposes to realize, These objectives are:
(1) to motivate the children to read and therefore to develop an enjoyment and a lasting interest in reading;
(2) to arouse i children a desire to write and therefore to develop an enjoyment and an interest in creative writing;
(3) to re-motivate children who have been turned away from reading by providing ego-satisfaction from reading;
(4) to use mythology s an impetus to creativity in other areas of schoolwork such as in art, English, and social studies;
(5) to help the middle school teacher introduce to students the civilization of the ancient Greeks and Romans and to some of the contributions made by them to our society.