1. Slide Set *1. Everglades National Park, Florida. A set of 36 color slides taken by the author in the Florida Everglades and Big Cypress National Preserve in February 1993. Slides are intended for use in the classroom in a structured setting using an inquiry approach to learning. Each slide is shown to students with a question posed to them. Discussion is initiated to draw on students’ interpretation of ecological/climatic concepts illustrated. After suitable discussion, additional information is provided to students as needed. A worksheet is completed by each student during the slide presentation. It is submitted at the end of class.
2. Slide Set *2. Olympic National Park, Olympic Peninsula, Washington State. A set of 40 slides taken by the author in Olympic National Park and Olympic National Forest in August 1993.
3. Freshly collected plant material consisting of woody and herbaceous plants from the oak-hickory forests of Southern Connecticut. Collected by the teacher and students during the teaching of this unit, the herbarium specimens are representative of forest plants found in our region.
4. Herbarium paper for preparing herbarium specimen sheets, and a plant press.
6. National Park Service maps for Everglades and Olympic Parks.
(Maps and figures available in print form)