Our school is a Magnet school based out of New Haven, CT. Our school’s primary focus is on the health science sports medicine theme. We offer a diverse set of skills to our students that they will not be able to possess upon attending a public school within the district. All of the classes within our school follow the standards set for by the district as well as the magnet standards we created as a school. These magnet standards include:
Critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making
– using critical thinking to analyze and solve problems.
– develop college and career ready skills in reading, writing, speaking, listening and language.
– understand the roles and responsibility of individual members of a team.
– develop technical skills required for careers in health science and sport medicine.
Content area knowledge
– develop core knowledge in the areas of health science and sports medicine.
Health Maintenance skills
– understanding the fundamentals of wellness and disease prevention.
This unit is currently being taught to students at the high school level. Ninth graders have already taken courses in anatomy and physiology as well as medical interventions. This unit is intended to be taught to students within their tenth grade year. This unit will be presented to them in conjunction with various forms of medications and communicable/preventative diseases.
Students, who attend our school, are selected on a lottery system. Students are chosen at random from multiple school districts. These towns currently include, but are not limited to: Bridgeport, North Haven, East Haven, Ansonia, Hamden and West Haven. These skills learned are taught to these students in the hope of preparing these individuals for a successful career in health science or sports medicine.