A small girl of seven or eight is leaning forward in a chair looking down at her birthday cake. She has a pensive look on her face and her chin is resting on her hand as she looks down at the birthday cake. The cake is decorated with seven lighted candles and a hula girl. The child is wearing a paper party cap and the leg of another is seen in the background.
1. What do you see in this picture?
2. Can you describe what you see in words?
*Remember to use your clustering method to help you out! Good luck . . . Buena suerte amigos!
A young Black couple is resting on a bed with their new baby between them. The couple is smiling but the baby appears to have a slight frown on its face. The small baby, snuggled in the middle, is lovingly caressed by the couple.
1. What is the couple expressing with their actions?
2. Does the couple appear rich or poor? How do you know?
3. What do you think the woman does for a living?
4. What do you think the man does for a living?
5. Does the couple appear to be successful or unsuccessful?
SMILING OR FEELING GOOD
A young middle aged Black woman is leaning forward with her hand resting near her chin and staring straight ahead smiling. A silk scarf decorates her neck and a pair of bangle earrings accent her “Curly Afro.” She is posing for a picture or she is looking at herself in the mirror.
1. What is the woman’s occupation?
2. What is interesting about her face?
3. Do vou think this woman could be a good neighbor?
4. Would you like her for a friend?
* Describe the qualities that make this person, in your opinion, unusual or outstanding.
TALKING OR SINGING
An elderly Black woman in a black wig and glasses is talking or singing to someone or some group. She has a “I know what I’m talking about” look on her face. Her mouth is open as if to make a point. The elderly woman is wearing a dark silk blouse which ties at the side of her neck. She is wearing large white earrings and white necklace to match her ensemble. Her tailored suit shows she is dressed for a special occasion.
1. What is the woman expressing with her face?
2. Could this woman be a grandmother?
3. Could she be a school principal?
4. Would call this woman elderly?
5. What kind of person do you think she is?