CT English Language Arts Curriculum Standards - Grade 1
1. Reading and Responding
1.3 Students select and apply strategies to facilitate word recognition and develop vocabulary in order to comprehend text
2. Exploring and Responding to Literature
2.4 Students recognize that readers and authors are influenced by individual, social, cultural and historical contexts.
Common Core State Standards
Reading Standards for Literature – First Grade
4. Identify words and phrases in stories or poems that suggest feelings or appeal to the senses.
10. With prompting and support, read prose and poetry of appropriate complexity for grade 1.
Foundational Skills – First Grade
2. Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds
3. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.