1. Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers. (2011). PARCC model content frameworks: English language arts/literacy grades 3–11. Retrieved fromwww.parcconline.org/sites/parcc/files/PARCCMCFELALiteracyAugust2012_FINAL.pdf
2. Arias, J. "Teaching Ethnography:Reading the World and Developing Student Agency." English Journal. 97.6 (2008): 92-97. Web. 17 Mar. 2014. <http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/40503419?uid=3739696>.
4. Wallowitz, Laraine. Critical literacy as resistance: teaching for social justice across the secondary curriculum. New York: Peter Lang, 2008. Print.
5. Bale, Jeff. Education and capitalism: struggles for learning and liberation. Chicago, Illinois: Haymarket Books, 2012. Print.
6. Please note that the text suggested here is adult, explicit in nature and makes use of racially charged language. It has been selected because of the way it depicts various communities within a larger community. It also investigates the ways a community might define itself in opposition to outsiders. It is advised to seek permission from supervisor and parents before showing these clips. Another text can be supplemented using the same method.
12. Dialectical note taking is an AP College board recommended strategy for tracking reader response during reading. An explanation of the strategy can be found on the College Board's website http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/ap04_preap_1_inter_st_3