Subject: Reading for detail
Activity: Reading and discussion of the story,
Life in the Village
Time: 30 minutes
Materials: A copy of the book,
Kids Around the World, which contains the story, “Life in the Village.”
Objective: The students will be able to draw a picture of Juan’s house in the village from details in the story they will read.
1. The teacher and students will look at pictures of homes in Mexico.
2. They will discuss what they think the houses are made from as they look at the pictures.
3. The students will then read the story, “Life in the Village.”
1. Students will be given large sheets of paper on which to draw Juan’s house from the details in the story.
2. They will reread the story to include as much detail as possible.
3. Students will draw the front door and what they think would be inside.