An ancient poem from Gerez’s book 2-Rabbit 7 Wind (27)
The author speaks about warriors preparing for war. In their preparation they are dressing like copper and gold birds, green and wild clover and flowers with tassels of blood.
thrushes; garlands; sacred; tassels.
1. Begin by giving a summary of Mexican fiestas. Show pictures and read arieall Ets’ book, Nine Days to Christmas. The book is about Christmas posadas (parties) in Mexico. It depicts the preparation for the posadas, including shopping at an old Mexican market. Also, it gives a vivid description of a procession in the village streets along with breaking a pinata.
2. Read the ancient poem from Gerez’s book and contrast the ancient preparation for war with the brightly colored costumes worn in today’s fiestas.
3. Show pictures from a book depicting colorful costumes worn at fiestas. In the book, Cultures Of The World: Mexico, (page 92) there is a beautiful example of a colorful dance. The costumes contain an array of colorful feathers.
4. Children will give their own impressions on paper using watercolor or tempera paint to illustrate the brightly colored costumes described in the poem.
5. Plan an art lesson where the children make their own paper pinatas and stuff them with candy.
(figure available in print form)
6. Plan a party with the breaking of a pinata.