Sequella H. Coleman
—Recognize and create three line lyric ‘blues’.
Objectives —Students will be able to:
1. recognize three line blues lyrics.
2. create a three line poem (four to five stanzas per poem).
3. share their creations with the class.
Doggin’ Me Around Blues
by Jenny Pope and
by Ma Rainey
1. Teacher will read each of the poems with emotion and inflection.
2. Students will identify the rhyming patterns and discuss the stories told by each song.
3. Teacher illustrate the written form of these songs (either on the board or by distributing copies of the songs).
4. Students will be assigned the task of writing their own blues poem.
5. After revision, students will be asked to read their pieces aloud.
Student Discussion Participation
Student Oral Presentation
One to two class periods