Students will learn to describe, identify, and reflect on gender role stereotypes
- Divide the class into heterogenous small groups of about 4 students each and provide groups with a large piece of paper and some markers.
- Instruct the groups to compile a list of stereotypes and gender roles. Simply ask them to write lists of what words and roles they associate with males and with females. Give them 10 minutes to do this.
- Bring the lists back to the whole class and share them.
- Have each student respond to reflection questions such as:
- Which of the stereotypes we discussed bothered you the most?
- Why do people judge and stereotype others?
- Where do stereotypes come from?
Students are assessed by their participation in the small groups, the class discussion, and their written reflection.