Students will read a biography and one poem by Julia de Burgos. Students will choose a poem that they can relate to Julia de Burgos’ life experiences. They will present that poem with a one-page report on Julia de Burgos life.
Teaching the poems
I will read the poem, “Pentachromatic” aloud to the class. I will ask the students to define the terms metaphor, simile, stanza as well as various words that I will underline in each poem. I will ask students to identify any metaphors and/or similes in each stanza. Then I will ask students to discuss why they think poets use metaphors and similes.
1. What is the subject of this poem?
2. Who is the poet speaking to?
3. Does the poet use a vernacular? If so, list a phrase or a word which reflects the vernacular.
4. What can you infer about the poet?
5. Do you like the poem? Why? Why not?