The child will be able to (using examples of cortical and trabecular bone found in the long bones) measure circumference, diameter, length, and weight of long bones.
long bones (chicken, turkey), paper, pencils, ruler, tape measure
1. Teach overview and femur sections of the unit. Note: cortical and trabecular bone charts and diagrams in the unit.
2. Discuss concepts and skills relating to circumference. (use the textbook)
3. Review measuring procedures for weight, length, diameter, circumference.
4. Cut a few long bones so that children can look at trabecular and cortical bone.
5. Have the children measure the bones (length, etc.) and put them on a graph.
6. Have the children draw diagrams of the bones and label the parts they may want to draw cross sections.