IQ Test—Stanford Binet
1. How valid an instrument is the IQ test?
2. Does environment effect the development of IQ?
3. Is there evidence of the heritability of IQ in MZ twins.
4. What have been the difficulties in studying the heritability of traits exclusive of the environment?
SUGGESTED LABORATORY TEACHING
Laboratory equipment and technique practice and safety procedures
Preparation of agar culture plates and inoculation with E. coli
Demonstration and/or slide presentation of micro techniques and electrophoresis reading culture plates
Model reconstruction of DNA and RNA Stepwise simulations of protein synthesis
Continuation of protein synthesis from # 5 above Practice reading partial libraries of simple DNA
Students practice locating or constructing pedigrees for human traits
Crosses of commercially prepared Drosophila can be traced for eye color and wing shape This will require four consecutive days
Using rodents such as white mice or hamsters or even gerbils behavioral patterns of siblings can be studied. White mice can be marked with color on their heads and male and female should be used for each test situation.
Objective is to determine whether those from the same parents vary in social behavior or in ’learning ability’ when their environment has been varied.
2. Exposure to stimuli such as maze or other learning apparatus
3. Exposure to light or noise for 24 hr.
4. Negative reinforcement situs