Steven F. Gray
Students apply a non fiction reading strategy to gain meaning.
Flipchart paper, black marker, K-W-L chart dittos, pencils, pens.
1. Initiate lesson by explaining to students that when working nonfiction materials the K-W-L strategy can help them understand what they learn.
2. Draw the chart on flipchart paper with marker.
3. Explain that the letters K-W-L represent the words
hat (to Know) and
4. Model how to use chart on the board by filling in first column with student responses.
5. Have students fill in the K-W-L chart ditto and complete the second column, writing questions they have on the subject.
6. Place student questions from second column on flipchart paper and discuss.
7. Close lesson by reviewing what was learned.
I will assess student comprehension of objective by their completed K-W-L dittos at the end of the unit.