Social Studies Standards: Grade 8th
Content Standard 1.0
Performance Standard 1.0
Students will explore the social culture of the U.S. at significant historical periods.
Content Standard 2.0
Students will investigate the goals and struggles of minority groups in America.
Language Arts / English Standards: Grades 5th - 8th
Content Standard 2.0
Students will progress along a developmental continuum as they become proficient writers.
Performance Standard 2.1
Students will develop strategic writing skills that ensure successful communication:
A. Students will organize the content of their writing and demonstrate contextual understanding
Performance Standard 2.2
Students will demonstrate strategic writing behaviors before, during and after specific writing task.
A. Students will demonstrate effective strategies before writing. They will:
1. Establish a purpose for writing.
2. Use prior knowledge as a basis for writing.
B. Students will demonstrate effective strategies while writing. They will:
1. Write a first draft.
2. Add descriptive language (adjectives, synonyms, clarify vocabulary)
3. Complete the final edits, and submit their final draft.
C. Students will demonstrate effective post-writing strategies. They will:
1. Use the entire procedure for process writing: writing, drafting, revising, editing and publishing.
2. Use technology that supports and enhances effective writing.
Content Standard 5.0
Students will develop strategic viewing skills by interpreting and constructing meaning from visual resources.
Performance Standard 5.2
Students will demonstrate strategic viewing behaviors before, during and after viewing tasks.
A. Students will demonstrate strategic viewing behaviors before viewing. They will:
1. Establish a purpose for viewing
2. Use prior knowledge to prepare for the viewing experience.
3. Seek information from a variety of viewing sources.
B. Student will demonstrate strategic viewing behaviors during viewing. They will:
1. Make assumptions and predictions on purpose, tone, theme, and point of view.
2. Use active viewing strategies.
3. Use technology information sources in an interactive manner.
C. Students will demonstrate strategic viewing behaviors after viewing.
1. Demonstrate viewing comprehension by interpreting information and responding critically.