- The comprehension strategy that I have decided to focus on is finding problems and solutions. I have found that focusing on this strategy is a good way to initiate close reading.
- The Brain Manual unit consists of a variety of text, multimedia, and tactile components. In order to maintain continuity students will keep a notebook of handouts and work they have done. It will be a portfolio.
- Each handout will have 2 small boxes at the bottom. Both the student and I will rate the paper on a score of 1, 2, or 3.
- Handouts will always have three holes punched. The handouts will include text as well as comprehension questions and at least 3 open-ended questions, per week that mirror the ones they will see on the new Common Core assessments.
- The warm up activity will be fun facts and each day students will copy down one sentence of trivia.
- To utilize the practice of anchoring and most lessons have a short video that prepares students for the lesson.
- The culminating project will be public service posters, on learning strategies that they have found the most profound or helpful. The posters will be placed around the school.
- Each day will have 2 sessions to maintain student interest.
- Higher readers will be challenged some of the higher readers by having them read the short story version of
Flowers for Algernon
- Review bingo will be used to reinforce learning. In this practice, students are given a list of answers to randomly place on a bingo sheet. I read the questions matching and in order to win the students has to explain their answers.