1. During the 2013-2014 academic year students at MBA were engaged analyzing themes across texts that included the writings of Junot Diaz and the playwrights Tennessee Williams and August Wilson. Midway through the year in response to a Connecticut state law that forced public institutions of higher learning to cease offering non-credit bearing remedial courses, students were pulled from senior level English courses and placed in a course centered on short non-fiction passages and the writing of five-paragraph themes.
2. By "both real and manufactured" what I mean to say is that some documents will be authentic primary source documents while other times students will be required to create "false" artifacts that relate to the texts (i.e. films they are viewing critically).
3. "What Is Nhv.Org All About?" Http://nhvorg.blogspot.com/2014/06/what-is-nhvorg-all-about.html.
4. The concept of bildungsroman or the traditional coming-of-age story does not in fact only apply to Lee's film Crooklyn but is also relevant in the study of both Granik's and Zeitlin's films included in the unit.
5. "Presenter Tips." PechaKucha New Haven.