Common Core English Language Arts Standards - History/Social Studies - Grade 11-12
Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources, connecting insights gained from specific details to an understanding of the text as a whole.
Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary that makes clear the relationships among the key details and ideas.
Integrate and evaluate multiple sources of information presented in diverse formats and media (e.g., visually, quantitatively, as well as in words) in order to address a question or solve a problem.
Evaluate an author's premises, claims, and evidence by corroborating or challenging them with other information.
Integrate information from diverse sources, both primary and secondary, into a coherent understanding of an idea or event, noting discrepancies among sources.
New Haven Public Schools 21st Century Competencies
Problem Solving and Critical Thinking:
- Reason effectively
- Make insightful judgments and decisions
- Solve problems
Accessing and Analyzing Information:
- Use research tools to access and evaluate information from multiple sources
- Organize and synthesize information using multiple methods
Communication and Collaboration: (*specifically relates to seminar)
- Articulate ideas clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences using multiple modes
- Communicate effectively and work productively with others
Citizenship and Responsibility:
- Exercise empathy and respect for diverse cultures and perspectives
- Contribute to and take responsibility for the larger community