Plan a trip in Baalbeck to the Festival
The lessons above may to used to create a Festival. The following lesson should be completed before the festival begins.
The students will use various websites including those listed about and others that they may fnd to “book” a trip to Lebanon and the Baalbeck Festival. They will make flight and hotel reservations, figure out money conversions, arrange transportation to the Beeka Valley from Beirut, purchase tickets, food, and other needed items. If the website becomes unavailable in the future, the lesson may be done using individual websites that the teacher can research in advance for the students.
1. The students will plan a trip to Lebanon using several different disciplines
2. The students will develop Internet skills. They will use the Internet to book airline tickets and hotel reservations. They will use to the Internet to do money conversions. They will use the internet to learn some basic travel vocabulary in Arabic.
3. The students will build Math skills. They will convert money.
4. The students will build Science skills. They will research the weather and make informed decisions as to what to pack.
The students have studied the country of Lebanon and they are familiar with what the Baaleck Festival is. They are told that they will be planning a trip to the festival which is held in June through July. The students will be told that they have $10,000 to spend and they must keep within their budgets.
1. Using the Internet they will look up the value of the Lebanese pound and do conversions.
2. Using the Internet, they are to find the names of hotels in Beirut. They will find out the rates and availability and will “e-mail” the hotels to make reservations. Of course the e-mails will not be sent and no real reservations will be made.
3. The students will find airline flights to Beirut. They will have to get the best price available so as not to go over their budgets.
4. The students will use the Internet to find out the temperature in Lebanon during June and July. They will be required to make a list of clothing and other essential items that they will “pack.”
5. The students will find Baalbeck on a map and find how far it is from Beirut. (about 90 miles.) They will have to decide how they will get to the festival and if they want to get a hotel there or commute.
6. Using the Internet the students will compile a list of useful travel phrases ?” in Arabic, such as “How much does this cost?”
7. The students will go to the Baalbeck Festival website to learn the history of the festival, the price of tickets and what performers will be at the festival.
8. The students will be required to keep a journal starting with their research of the trip and ending after they attend their own festival which is part of another lesson.
This lesson will be evaluated by the journal which the students will be required to keep.
The students will be required to answer the following questions:
Using the internet, find out the weather for various months in Lebanon. The Festival is held in July and August. What is the average day and night time temp? What is the humidity? What are the chances of rain?
On a given date, what is the value of the Lebanese pound to the American dollar?
What is the name of the hotel(s) you booked?
For what dates did you book the hotel?
For what rate did you book the hotel?
What is the average day and night time temperature in Beirut during July and August? (at Baalack?)
What did you pack for the trip?
What foods do you expect to eat while in Lebanon?
What is your list of Arabic phrases that you will need to travel.
What performances do you plan to see at the festival?
What is the total cost of your trip?