Objective To explain how oil came into existence
1. where did oil come from
2. exploration for oil
3. definition of oil
4. explanation of hydrocarbons
5. explanation of sedimentary rock in contrast to igneous and metamorphic rocks
6. geology findings
7. Activity (explaining the pores in sedimentary rock by using a household sponge)
Objective To see what an oil well looks like by using a drawing
1. oil rig set up (parts and function)
2. onshore drilling
3. offshore drilling
4. oil well drawing and explanation
5. major oil producing countries
6. oil supply and demands
Objective An explanation of the three types of recovery
1. primary recovery
2. secondary recovery
3. tertiary recovery
4. what happens to a community when an oil company moves in to start mining
Objective To explain what happens to oil once it is mined
1. oil transportation (tankers, trains, and trucks)
3. oil consumption
To relate to the by-products of oil by looking around the home
1. uses of oil (household and commercial)
2. how long will our oil last
3. from where do we get our supply of oil
Objective To explain where gas comes from
1. exploration for gas
2. where gas is found
3. the treatment of gas
4. the distribution of gas
5. household and commercial uses of gas
Objective To emphasize the properties of gas
1. properties of gas
2. odor is added to gas
3. major gas fields in the U.S. and Canada
4. Activity (blowing a strip of paper to illustrate that gas can cause movement)
Objective To bring to the surface our concerns about our gas supply
1. our current supply of natural gas
2. our future supply of natural gas
3. the demands upon natural gas
4. storage of natural gas
Field trip to the BRIDGEPORT UNITED ILLUMINATING COMPANY.
Purpose: To see a facility that uses both coal and oil as a source of energy to produce more energy in the form of electricity, in order that the consumer may enjoy many of its benefits.
Objective Summative test
In a written essay form answer any 5 out of 7 questions.
1. Where are gas and oil found?
2. Where does most of our oil and gas that we use come from?
3. List and describe 2 out of 3 types of oil recovery.
4. List 7 items that are made from oil and 3 byproducts of gas.
5. Explain crude oil?
6. What causes gas and oil to form underground?
7. How are gas and oil transported?