Objective: Students will use identified behaviors in male to male relationships to develop awareness of their own behaviors.
Two male students will role play the following scenario. Ask other students in the class to think critically and analyze this scenario. Questions are given to guide the whole group discussion.
: Peter and John are friends. Peter likes to bully John when they are with their other friends. He does this because it makes him feel important. John allows this to happen and says absolutely nothing to Peter about this because he is afraid of him. Students in the school call John names--gay, sissy, etc.
Discuss the above scenario
. Use the questions below to guide the discussion.
1. What are the characteristics of an alpha? Peter an alpha male?
2. Do you think that males are born to be violent, if so why?
3. What happens to males who consistently refuse to be violent?
4. Do you think that it is okay to be called names like gay, sissy, etc?
5. What solution(s) do you suggest to Peter?
The goal is to engage students in the learning process. By role playing several violent behaviors, students develop their own strategies for problem-solving. Some of these solutions can be used daily to prevent violence in the classroom and overall school.