· Teacher will discuss with class and reinforce strategies when observing visual images.
· Teacher and students will discuss images of Pearl Harbor and September 11
in whole group.
· Students will read and annotate two short articles called "Pearl Harbor" and "September 11" and when finished discuss articles with a partner sitting next to them.
· Students will brainstorm on a building-shaped graphic organizer, using the pictures of Pearl Harbor and the World Trade Center attack that are displayed on the Smartboard and the two articles they read as guides.
· Students will write a five-paragraph expository essay.
· Students will evaluate their individual essay by scoring a student rubric.
· Teacher will evaluate students' essay by scoring the teacher rubric for each student.
Students will write a two-page expository essay comparing and contrasting the attack on Pearl Harbor and the attack on the World Trade Center based on the images displayed on the Smartboard and the articles they read in class to demonstrate their knowledge of both the two world events and the features of a strong expository essay.