I believe that when my students complete this unit, they will learn to think of themselves as writers and recognize details in visual images by writing expository essays. By familiarizing students with productive ways to approach and analyze images and by giving them opportunities to practice expository writing strategies, I hope to give my students a new attitude to the writing process. I presume that by observing pictures and using repetitive strategies to go over the process of writing and seeing, my students will be able to link their visualization and writing skills together to compose strong written work.
The following student objectives that will be met for this unit are:
· Students will be able to notice and identify details in visual images in writing.
· Students will consider and analyze details in images in order to make inferences about photographs being displayed.
· Students will be able to use descriptive detail by writing expository essays that consist of at least 2 pages.
· Students will evaluate the relevancy of details as support for a specific claim about the visual images.
· Students will be able to gain an understanding of historical events based on class discussions, reading articles, and observing visual images.