Students are introduced to the tools and etiquette of email by corresponding with keypals and maintaining a personal journal about their observations
Students learn to conduct correspondence via email
Students learn email etiquette
Students develop reflective writing skills
l. Post a Call for Collaborators soliciting keypals partners for the project
2. Based on responses, match each student with a keypal from another school
3.Each student writes an initial brief biography including: first name, age, pets, school interests, and hobbies.
4. Teacher consolidates information into one message and emails information participating school. Call the participating school to verify the information you receive.
5. Students begin journals in which they describe their experience with email correspondence.
6. Organize students into teams. Once a week, students read their journals to each other and discuss what they are learning
7. Continue to exchange messages and journal writings for at least 4 weeks
8. To conclude project, students write a goodbye message and a final journal entry about the project.
Week 1: Post Call for Collaborators soliciting partner schools
Week 2: Email procedures to all registered schools
Week 3: Exchange keypal messages. Write journal entries and discuss.
Week 4: Write goodbye message and final journal entry. Discuss final journal entry.
Subject: Language Arts
Grade level: Grades 7-12
Activity types: Keypals
Activity level: Beginner
Time frame: Ongoing
Materials Needed: Computer with email access