Purpose: The purpose of this lesson is to show the students how they could be wise consumers when it comes to avoiding pesticides in the foods they eat.
Objective: Based on the information above about pesticides and other resources, the students will do a week’s worth of shopping from the papers choosing the ones with the least potential for pesticide residues and/or the ones they could most effectively remove the residue danger.
The students will explain how they will rid the food they chose of the residue.
The students will chose wisely to get the most for their set amount of money.
Materials: Circulars from the various food stores, notebook, pencils, dish detergent, fresh fruit or fresh vegetables, two (2) large bowl, water (distilled), hot plate, paper plates (for each students), margarine, play money ($25.00), more TBA
Procedure: 1. The students will gather circulars from various food stores in the areas where they live. (Stop & Shop. Shoprite, Walbaums, Kmart, Shaw’s,
2. They will work in groups of three or four and develop a shopping list from the circulars for a week’s worth of food. Breakfast, Lunch, andSupper should be on their minds as they make their choices. Also the fact that they have only $25.00 to spend.
3. Then an explanation should be written in their notebook for each choice.
4. An explanation and demonstration will be given of how they will cleana fruit or vegetable using the ones provided by the teacher and some students.
Conclusion: 1. Do you have control over how many pesticide residues enter in your body?
2. How did this lesson help you recognize that fact?
3. Do you feel this was necessary information?